BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Time to get healthy!!!

Here lately I have been getting some questions on what I have been doing to lose weight. Well to be 100% honest I really just motivate myself to try and be healthy more than anything. I do have a secret weapon though and its.... my older brother. LOL. Back in May when I finished the spring semester of school, I decided to start changing the way I eat and just become more healthy. So my brother offered to help me jumpstart my weight loss and we developed a strategy ;) to help me achieve my goal in time for graduation, which is the up and coming milestone in the up and coming months. In honor of my 41.8 pounds I have lost I decided to interview my bro so hopefully this will help answer the questions I have been getting and help you start your weight loss plan as well. In case you don't know my bro is not just some guy who knows how to work out good fitness and proper nutrition is his life. He is a certified personal trainer with the American Council on Exercise, he currently works for Dr. John Johnson as a certified personal trainer and certified lifestyle and nutrition educator at Icon Wellness Center and medical spa, and he will graduate(yay) this fall with a Bachelor of Science in Human Performance from University of Houston Clear Lake and hopefully work to train professional athletes and get me free tickets to sporting events haha. So with that being said here is my interview...
Q:What would be a good way to start a healthier lifestyle without going cold turkey?
A: The first step would be to discard artificial foods from your diet. For example if you eat a lot of fast food say...4x a week limit that to 2x  a weekd as a initial starting point. Try to incorporate water. It will help to cleanse and flush the system in order to prep for changes in diet and lifestyle.
Q: If I am a beginner, how many times a week should I work out and what exercises should I be doing?
A:Beginner's should start off working out 3x a week and an hr. per each time you work out. Divide that hr into 30 min of weight bearing exercise and 30 mins of cardiovascular endurance.
Q: What types of foods should I avoid?
A: Avoid all foods made up of hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup, as well as preservatives. Beware of yogurts, they are commonly mistaken and classifed as "healthier" but in reality are loaded with sugar, the amount of sugar found in yogurt can be compared to that of cokes and carbonated drinks. Stick to plain yogurt with frozen fruit added.
Q:When should I start seeing results?
A: If diet and exercise modifications are maintained males should see a postive response to a healthier lifestyle in the 1st-2nd week, and females the 1st-3rd week.
Q: Are bootcamp style workouts good for beginners?
A:No. In "real" traditional style bootcamps, beginner's do not have the endurance or muscle development to be able to keep up during these rigorious workouts. Instead work towards being able to condtion yourself to be able to have the stamina to do bootcamps. Begin with functional training such as pushups and situps, in addtion to cardiovascular and strength condition. Build up your endurance a month prior to bootcamp to fully utilize the benefits of an intense workout such as bootcamps.
Q:How many calories a day should I be eating?
A: Calories are based on body weight, level of activity,age, height, and weight. Basically the more active you are the more calories you should consume.
For males: 1800 k/cal (minimum)
For females:1400 k/cal (minimum)
Q: Can I ever cheat and have unhealthy foods?
A:YES!!! Practicing good and proper nutrition for a minimum of 2 weeks followed by a "cheat" can be beneficial in reboosting your metabolism and help recharge your system which can lead to more weightloss...dont go crazy though..
Q:Should I be snacking?
A: Three snacks a day between meals is appropriate.Keep in mind snacks do not include chips, candy, soda, or any high sodium/high calorie/ high glycemic foods. Instead try, veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment